10.01.2012

Find A Way To Slow Down


‎"In any setting, we can allow a gap and let natural openness come to us. 
Find a way to slow down."           -Pema Chodron – today’s Facebook post 10/1/12

The Wise Pema Chodron

I have just “liked” Pema.

She doesn’t know me. And I don’t know her.

Other than a quick Google search to know she is a Buddhist, a nun, teacher and author. And she has a lovely shaved head that for some reason draws me to her.

But I like what she has to say today.

Because I think we always need to be reminded. I do, anyway.

My body is telling me to slow down. My lifestyle is telling me to keep going at 2000%. Guess who is winning. Guess who has won.

A month ago, my body said “Uncle!!!!” and I was physically forced to step back, lie down, chill out, relax, get zen. Years of having a blast pounding down bump runs, flying head-over bars on mountain bikes, plunging off of bungee jumps, careening from horses’ backs (oh the fun list goes on!!!!) has come to wreak havoc and now…. I…. am….. forced….. to….. slow….. down.

And with the forced physical slow down. Comes the lovely, interesting, curious bonus of the mental slow down.

Wrapping the two together, it is a bit of a shock, but a wonderous opening. How fast do we move. How far do we push. How long can we keep it up.

And what are we teaching our kids.

It’s a thoughtful day.

Namaste & Three Cheers. -Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment